In September, my brother-in-law married the most excellent woman and I was very happy to be a part of their day. Like most weddings it was largely DIY, and I got to participate by making wine for their home-made wine. It wasn’t made in a bathtub or anything, the brides parents have been making their own for a while and had created batches of white and red for the big day. Of course, the label choices at these make your own wine places are a bit plain and boring, so I offered to make some.
This was a very good creative project for me because it had the required restraints, but also being for the easiest to please bride ever. I had a time limit and specs, but pretty much free reign after that. I’d also really enjoyed drawing and creating things for print for my wedding, and this was a great chance to do that again. I made them both in Illustrator.
It was pretty easy coming up with themes that suited the couple. They love two things, perhaps above all: cats, and rock climbing. So each label was dedicated to each of these loves. I’ve posted the pictures from concept to finished product below.
“get meowied”. What more do I need to say about that? It’s intended to be kitty versions of them.
2) This was my first attempt at creating it in Illustrator. I have a really hard time drawing things from my mind, and these cats looked totally creepy. It wasn’t until I looked at images of cartoon cats, that I realized what I was doing wrong (mostly everything).
I feel uncomfortable looking at this
3) After finding some images I had a better idea of what a cartoon cat should look like. I put together this basic version. I knew this wasn’t complete but I was pleased with the general layout and shape of the cats.
Looking a little better here, but still feels far from done
This is where a good editor comes in handy. My friend Sol took a good look and offered up some suggestions and even made a few of them himself. He (smartly) looked up other wine labels and found elements that could be added. One of the things he suggested was a textured background and border. I added those, as well as the type of wine. This is the final:
Finished wine label
And here is what it looks like printed and on the bottle:
I was going to draw the rock climbing one but then their friend had taken a great photo from a recent trip and I decided to vectorize that one instead. I think it turned out great!
Here is the original photo:
Rock Climbing Original
and here is what I did to it. It wasn’t as hard as the other one, since I was just tracing elements that exist. It was quite a challenge to create the lines and shapes to give it a sense of shading and depth. This is my first time vector tracing anything and I’m glad it was a simple photo.
Final rock climbing label
And here it is on the bottle: (apologies that this photo is poor quality. With all the craziness of wedding weekend I failed to take a better picture).
The final product
They both really loved the labels and I’ve gotten a few compliments on them from the guests. That was the best payment! I hope to create more stuff for print in the future.